New Year, new goals… one of mine is to be more present right here! When I started this blog my intention was to share the process of EVERY project, which may have been a bit ambitious of me. If you are a regular follower of The white Plum, I’m sure you already know how well that’s been going. I won’t even give you my many excuses😶, I’m just gonna do better.
Once the Bondo had fully dried, the entire dresser got a good sanding and cleaning with soap and water. This is a dark wood piece with a lot of red undertones, so I played it smart and primed with Wise Owl Primer in Clear to stop any wood tannins from bleeding through. I used clear for no other reason than, it’s simply what I had on hand. Although, I do prefer clear (unless I’m painting white) over any other because most of my pieces get distressed.
There is something magical about those first few brush strokes, things just start to come alive and become a little less overwhelming. To lessen the appearance of brush strokes I kept the surface damp by misting with water. A good quality brush and a light hand also help tremendously. I prefer Cling On brushes.
This is where the vision changed for me… seeing the piece at this stage, with the doors off, the drawers kinda reminded me of crates. Especially once the wood was stained in Flagstone by Varathane and it took on a more weathered gray tone than expected.
To play off of the crate vibe, I applied a portion of an Iron Orchid Designs transfer I had left over from a previous completed project to the middle drawer fronts. For more information on applying furniture transfers visit my previous post HERE.
In continuation of the new “botanical rose crate” vision, I used IOD Decor Stamps in Lady Of Shallot on the neighboring drawer fronts.
I love the idea of using stamps! They can be used over and over again, making them an economical design choice and they are so easy to use!
Here’s my practice board, please excuse the embarrassing left over holiday polish.🥴 Although I can’t say my nails ever look good, they don’t… we’ll just call it an occupational hazard. I used a custom mix of Wise Owl Paint for my stamp color.
I feel like this piece would compliment any room with style, but oh baby would it be adorable in a nursery!💕
*This post contains affiliate links, when products are purchased through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you.😊
Don’t be shy, feel free to leave your feedback. I’d love to hear what you think of this furniture makeover.